Front Quad of Lincoln College, the walls covered in bright green ivy

International Students

Lincoln students sat on the grass in the Grove

Please visit the University's website for international students for further information.


All overseas students require a visa. Please read through the visa and immigration advice on the University's website.

Overseas students must upload copies (in colour) of their passport ID page and Biometric Residence Permit (both sides) / visa / share code to the College's secure visa portal prior to arrival. If you have an online eVisa, or pre-settled/settled status, you should be able to obtain a share code from the Government website. You should then bring the original documents to your In-Person Verification session to be verified. Overseas students are not permitted to enroll until this process is complete.

Please allow up to two working days for processing your portal access request.

Opening a Bank Account

Some international students have encountered difficulties in opening a bank account in the UK before they arrive. For information before you leave your home country, please visit the website for UKCISA, the Council for International Education: Alternatively, if you are a student managed by the British Council, you should contact your local office or their website: for general guidance.

If you have to wait until you arrive in Oxford to open an account, the first step is to choose which bank you hope to use. If you have already registered online, you should be able to download an enrolment certificate from Student Self Service, which will introduce you as a bona fide student at Oxford. If the bank that you have chosen will not accept this certificate as sufficient proof of your identity and residence in Oxford, graduate students should contact the Graduate Officer, and undergraduate students should contact the Administrative Assistant to organise a letter of introduction addressed to the bank you have chosen.

We would encourage you to visit the University's website for International Students (Finances and Banks) for further information.

Medical Care

Students from the UK, EU/EEA (with pre-settled or settled status), or any country with reciprocal health arrangements are entitled to medical care under the National Health Service (NHS). International students are also entitled to NHS treatment if they are studying full-time on a course lasting 6 months or more, but must pay the immigration health surcharge as part of their visa application. Please visit the University’s website on health and the UKCISA website for more information.

You will need to register at the King Edward Street at the Northgate Medical Practice - information about doing this is on the forms to complete section. If you have a long-term medical condition which is likely to need ongoing support during your time in Oxford, please arrange an appointment with the surgery as soon as possible after arrival. This will help to ensure that all the appropriate arrangements are in place quickly.

Your are strongly recommended that you are immunised before coming to Oxford. You should note some important vaccinations, including the following:

  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Rubella
  • Meningitis

Where next?

  • Find out how to get to Lincoln CollegeRead more
  • Discover our graduate common room, the MCRRead more
  • Forms to complete before you arriveRead more