Lincoln College is founded by Richard Fleming, Bishop of Lincoln, and named after his cathedral as 'The College of the Blessed Mary and All Saints, Lincoln, in the University of Oxford, commonly called Lincoln College'.
Emily Carr and her husband give the College property on the High Street.
Generous bequests from benefactors allow for the construction of the Chapel, Library, Hall, Kitchen and a set of rooms in the following decades.
A bequest from the Will of Thomas Beckington, Bishop of Bath and Wells, allows the College to build the first Lodgings for the Rector.
The Visitor, Thomas Rotherham, Bishop of Lincoln, obtains a Charter from Edward IV, which effectively makes him the second founder of the College.
The Mitre Inn is first leased to the College (pictured now).
The grant of the College coat of arms is confirmed.
The Authorized Version of the Bible is published; the latter part of which was translated by Rector Richard Kilby and Fellow Richard Brett.
The College Chapel is built in the Jacobean Gothic style. It is consecrated on 15 September 1631.
Former Rector, Lord Crewe, Bishop of Durham, leaves a benefaction to Lincoln, founding 12 new exhibitions as well as improving the College buildings.
John Wesley is elected to a Fellowship. During his time here, he was involved with the Holy Club, which laid the foundations for the Methodist Church.
Mark Pattison, reputed to have inspired the character of Edward Casaubon in George Eliot’s novel Middlemarch, is elected Rector.
The Lincoln College Boat Club is established. Today, there are male and female crews for all abilities.
The philosopher Samuel Alexander is elected a Fellow of Lincoln, and becomes the first Jewish Fellow of an Oxford college.
The Lincoln College Debating Society, founded in 1854, is renamed and becomes the Junior Common Room (JCR) for undergraduate students (pictured today).
Theodor Seuss Geisel matriculates at Lincoln. He went on to write over 60 children’s books as ‘Dr Seuss’.
Egon Wellesz, composer and musicologist, is elected Fellow after fleeing Nazi persecution in Vienna.
Fellow Howard Florey shares the Nobel Prize with Ernst Boris Chain and Alexander Fleming for the development of penicillin.
The author, David Cornwell, better known as John Le Carré, matriculates at Lincoln.
The Middle Common Room (MCR) for graduate students is founded, the first common room of its kind in Oxford (pictured today).
All Saints Church is converted into the College Library. It is widely considered to be one of the most beautiful libraries in Oxford.
The College admits female students for the first time.
The College appoints its first female Tutorial Fellow, Dr Susan Brigden, a historian.
The Lincoln-EPA Graduate Centre is opened in Museum Road, providing additional accommodation for 52 graduate students.
The Berrow Foundation Building, designed by architects Stanton Williams, is completed and wins the 2017 RIBA South Building of the Year Award.